Re: Pix for the Week Ending April 10th to 12th, 2020

xpatUSA wrote:

furtle wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

furtle wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

furtle wrote:

Tulip season!

Wow, Steve, amazingly pure red petals on my sRGB monitor.

Thanks, Ted. Interesting as these Tulips (which are massive) where supposed to have a touch off orange in them. Hum.

Here is chaenomeles Japonica (Quince) which I think is proper red. Is it? It look much more blood red. Shows how colour is very subjective.

Hello Steve. I must admit that my comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

As you know, between the spectral reflectance of flowers and the final processed image, there are many opportunities for gamut-clipping and the petals in your first image were mostly "blown" on my monitor.

The Quince on the other hand only slightly here and there and looks fine.

A couple of saturation maps for you (white=100% saturated):

Happy Easter Sunday - I've a fridge full of IPA ...

Blimey, I thought the red Tuplip wasn’t blown. I didn’t see any whiteouts in the red petals and I think I set EV TO -1.0 or -1.7. I’ll try again if the sun shines tomorrow.

No, I didn't mean blown in the exposure sense, which is why I put it in inverted commas. If the original tulip shot was raw, I'll bet it can be processed without clipping the sRGB gamut.

In SPP set the working space to sRGB, not Adobe, not ProPhoto. Set the color mode to Standard or even Neutral. Starting with all sliders in the middle, run the color-picker around the petals and look for greens and/or blues at zero. If a lot found, like in your posted image, lower the saturation slider to say -0.2 and look again. What happens is that subtle color detail and constrast re-appears to the discerning eye (I do mean subtle).

Ok, I've reprocessed using your suggestions.

Original first and underneath with Ted's adjustments (only if I understood).  I think this is better

-- hide signature --

Best, Steve

furtle's gear list:furtle's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Sigma DP1s Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow