extreme macro

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jimhughes
jimhughes Senior Member • Posts: 1,347
extreme macro

Like many photographers, I've been doing some macro during the lockdown.

I'm no expert on this but I've already figured out that getting extreme closeups isn't simple. With my Nikon Z6, the 24-70 f4 lens, and an extension tube, I can to something approaching 1:1. Using a longer extension tube lets me get closer, for an even larger image, but at the cost of quality in the corners . I also have a manual 100mm macro lens (E-mount, on an adapter) but it doesn't focus close enough for a frame-filling photo of something like an insect. Using an extension tube on the macro lens brings me closer, but then I lose the excellent quality of the lens; the falloff in quality away from the center is very pronounced.

I know there's a lot of complexity here that I'm probably not going to understand, and a tradeoff involving focal length and minimum focusing distance.

My simplistic question is this: what does it take to get really high-quality macro images of very small objects?

-- hide signature --

www.jimhphoto.com

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow