70MM 2.8 ART LENS BY SIGMA FOR SONY E MOUNT.

Started Apr 7, 2020 | User reviews thread
Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,191
Re: 70MM 2.8 ART LENS BY SIGMA FOR SONY E MOUNT.

Leonie Holmes wrote:

I bought this lens last month & all I can say is, I HATE IT! Unlike any other macro lenses I have owned this one is terrible. It takes forever to focus turning the lens around & around. Then when you think you have everything focused & ready to shoot it changes the focus to another part & shoots it. This keeps happening so I am going to try & sell it & buy a “Normal” macro lens for my Sony full frame camera.

Best to use manual focus on a tripod when shooting extreme close-ups with a macro lens. When shooting so close, light becomes uniform and contrast decreases making it tough to attain focus. Then any slight movement of the subject or of the camera and the af box will be over a different part of the subject and af will focus on that. Macro lenses are always prone to hunting because of the lack of contrasty edges and because of the big range of movement the lens has from close to far focusing. That is why manual focus is so often used in close up photography. There are ways of using af and getting around its limitations but then one needs patience.

Here is one trick. Using manual focus or back button focus, set focus to the distance one wants, often choosing the closest focus possible. Then, move the camera forwards and back slightly and take a short burst when you the subject is in focus. This ends the hunting since you are the one moving not the lens.

My old DSLR 70 is amazingly sharp and I continue to be amazed at the kind of images I have taken using it. And its af is from prehistoric times.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow