The Pano Thread- Images, Techniques, Tips, Printing Etc

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ascotinitaly
ascotinitaly Regular Member • Posts: 235
The Pano Thread- Images, Techniques, Tips, Printing Etc

Hi all

I couldn't find a thread dedicated to large stitched panoramas, so I started one. The acutance and color of the various Sigmas lend themselves better than other cameras to large panos, especially if you like to print big and then press your nose up close to pixel peep, old school style!

It looks there are quite a few of us who are interested in multi-photo stitched panos. The idea is that we can share not only images, but techniques, problems and ideas, as well as recommendations for printing labs, software, equipment etc.

I posted one that came out great in the "Locked Down and Working On....?" thread here

Here is a small view--

This one was 20 vertical shots, handheld, with the DP3Merrill. WIth more time and batteries....and patience....I would have exposure bracketed. The shadows suffer a little, but the dyamic range was too crazy at sunset, so it worked out.

Since I didn't use a tripod and pano head, I wound up missing some of the ground and sky, especially near the corners. I would have liked to show some of the piazza below the tower, but there was no way to compensate, even with Photoshop's "content aware fill". Moral of the story: Always shoot MORE outside the frame than you thing you are going to need!

The sky was drab, so I swapped it out with another one that fit the image better. Normally I prefer the Merrill cloud renderings, but with wispier, moving clouds anything with the right angle will work.

Here's one I did yesterday.

Again, using Kolor Autopano (French) software for stitching. This time it was the DP2M's turn. Here you can see the difference in the "purity" and "thickness" of the colors -- the DP3M eats the little brother's lunch every time. I fixed them as much as I could, especially the nasty green shadows. You can see the final result full size here

The software gave a great stitch, and the palaces leading to the bend in the river looked great. Again, the sky was ridiculously boring, so it got replaced. The big problem was the missing part of the lower right - about 10 percent of the image. Missing skies are easy to fix....missing buildings not so much. I spent a couple of hours cloning and hand-painting to get to where it is. It could be better, but I'm moving on. A friend with a business near Pisa wanted a large print to hang in his office, and he says that he's happy with it.

>>>>>>> Please add your images, tips, tricks, comments and questions to this thread so that we can all learn how to get better results

Stay safe!

My galleries: https://travels.lovingitaly.us

ascotinitaly's gear list:ascotinitaly's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Sony a99 II +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow