External SSD for Lightroom Catalog?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 4,208
Re: External SSD for Lightroom Catalog?

CameraCarl wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

CameraCarl wrote:

I am running Lightroom Classic on my 2017 5K Retina 27 inch iMac with 24 GB RAM. I have almost 300,000 images in one catalog and my Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata file is typically 150-200 GB. Unfortunately my computer's internal SSD is only 512GB, so I find that Lightroom often runs slowly. I have tried periodically deleting my Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata, but this is not an optimum solution.

Now that external SSDs are getting less expensive, does it makes sense to move my LR Catalog and previews, etc, to an external drive connected through the Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port?

If so, what size should I buy? Would a 500GB drive be sufficient if all I use it for is the Lightroom Catalog?

And do I need a Thunderbolt drive or will USB-C 3.2 or 3.2 be fast enough?

Thanks and stay well....

I think some responses here assume want to just store images on that external, not the Lr catalog and previews.

Not sure what your budget is but one the Thunderbolt 3 super fast SSDs like the Samsung X5 would probably be as fast or awfully close as the internal drive. I don't have that one, but the MacSales' Envoy that is almost as fast and it really whizzes. I'd think that would be your best shot.

Correct: I am only asking about moving the Lightroom Catalog and Previews file to an external drive. All my images are stored on external drives. I've been looking at the X5, but it is twice as expensive as a USB-C drive and I wonder if I would even notice the difference between 550 MB/sec and 2800 MB/sec for still image review, culling and editing.

Answer provided; save your money.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow