Help Bad images with d500+200-500mm

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Okky New Member • Posts: 20
Help Bad images with d500+200-500mm

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site. I am a amateur photographer started in 2018 by buying a D500. I started with macro photography very simple. I wanted to get more out of my camera so I was getting interested in bird photography. My camera should be good in it. I bought in the nikon 200-500mm in 2019. Cause of personal circumstances I could not play much with it. These days I am trying it out but I am seriously disappointed in the lens and maybe camera.

I saw images from other photographers and I read that this combo should be very good, but when I see my images I get sad and frustrated. My images look very soft even if I stop down to 6.3/7.1. I am honestly thinking is it me or is something wrong with the camera and or lens...

I am a starter but I did watched alot YouTube videos about bird photography and even setup my camera with Mark Smith settings. I shoot Manuel with 1600/2000/2500 seconds, F 5.6 till 7.1 and auto iso. AF-C and mostly group focus.

I have literally images of the bird being perfectly in the middle of the 4 group focus points with the settings above but still out of focus. And if its in focus then its not sharp at all. Even birds on the ground that are steady or moving very slow are bad. Single point focus seems working better but still no sharp images at all. I saw foto from others at F5.6 and way more sharp then my F6.3/7.1

I checked my fine tune with a SLRkit chart but seems ok. I was proud of my D500 but now I am not sure anymore.

Can anyone help me if you saw the images I took??

Thanks

p.s. see my album for the images

Okky's gear list:Okky's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Samyang 135mm F2.0
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow