Best Drone for Photography Mainly

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,834
Best Drone for Photography Mainly

I've been going round in circles for a while about this. Initially looked at coming in under the registration regs and getting a mavic mini, but being a D850/810 shooter I don't think I could contend with the JPG IQ and lack of manual camera controls. I've now went right up to checking out the mavic air, and mavic pro 2 vs the pro 2 zoom. I tend to like the pro a bit better as the camera seems to be better, and it shoots raw? Should I consider the zoom? What are the tradeoffs in your opinion, 20mp vs 12mp, and the slightly better DR of the pro 2, with no zoom function so fixed at 28mm equiv. Although this drone would be mainly for rural / wilderness area photography I would still like to do video. I have heard that the video 8bit mode is very oversaturated and contrasty. I know it has a 10bit log mode but I'm not sure I'm a video "tweaker" as much as I am with photography - in the sense I'd want to just share unedited clips etc on occasion. Thoughts on this specifically?

What are your recommendations? The max (absolute max is £1500). Priority is RAW capture stills at best quality possible, and a decentish flight time with good connection to the drone so it doesn't get lost or crashed. I'll be using 2-3 shots for exposure blending so need steady flight (again the mavic 2 fits that bill it would seem). I'm assuming that grad ND's aren't used for drones! (I understand for video that ND's can be used of course). Thanks in advance.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow