Image editors for low-spec desktops

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,527
Re: Image editors for low-spec desktops

The best way to add capabilities to an older computer is to max out the RAM.

For free you can get FastStone or IrfanView, which are good PC image viewers/editors for JPGs. Both these programs should run well on an older computer.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter

IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide

With RAW files FastStone "supports" a number of raw image formats but as far as I can tell it uses the embedded JPG to show you the image and for editing. You can extract the RAW file into a JPG image for editing but there is no advantage to that over the embedded JPG if that embedded JPG is full sized, which is generally true with today's cameras.

I'm not very familiar with IrfanView but it doesn't seem to support RAW files, at least not Canon CR2 files.

darktable is a free RAW converter program.

darktable 2.6 | darktable

Gimp is a free image editor program with many of the features of Photoshop but with a less friendly user interface.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

I can't tell you how well darktable and Gimp will work on an older computer but it won't cost you anything except a bit of time to try them.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow