External SSD for Lightroom Catalog?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
pcgould
pcgould Contributing Member • Posts: 618
Re: External SSD for Lightroom Catalog?

CameraCarl wrote:

I am running Lightroom Classic on my 2017 5K Retina 27 inch iMac with 24 GB RAM. I have almost 300,000 images in one catalog and my Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata file is typically 150-200 GB. Unfortunately my computer's internal SSD is only 512GB, so I find that Lightroom often runs slowly. I have tried periodically deleting my Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata, but this is not an optimum solution.

Now that external SSDs are getting less expensive, does it makes sense to move my LR Catalog and previews, etc, to an external drive connected through the Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port?

If so, what size should I buy? Would a 500GB drive be sufficient if all I use it for is the Lightroom Catalog?

And do I need a Thunderbolt drive or will USB-C 3.2 or 3.2 be fast enough?

Thanks and stay well....

My LR catalog (55K images) and all my files are on my Samsung T5 - 2TB SSD but with prices coming down, you could go for the 4TB. It is connected to my iMac via USB-C and it is fine. My Mac also has just the 512GB internal SSD so all that is on it is the OS plus apps and files that are in my DropBox, GoogleDrive etc. so I've still got 180 GB free. 
I backup the Mac and the Samsung to another 4TB drive + Backblaze cloud backup.

pcgould's gear list:pcgould's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow