16-80mm + Lens Modulation Optimizer?

Started Apr 3, 2020 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,788
16-80mm + Lens Modulation Optimizer?

Sorry for yet another 16-80 thread, but something has been bugging me, and I'd like the input of owners of this lens. I'm being tempted to move to Nikon and their 24-200mm lens, but would like this nagging question about the 16-80 dealt with before I make a decision. I was disappointed with this release for a few reasons, the main one being all of the reports and sample pics of soft corners at both ends. I desperately wanted an all-rounder lens for wide and tele landscapes, but was convinced to stay away from it by most of the pics and reviews I saw. However, there also seems to be a lot of copy variation with this lens, as many owners seem to be happy with it. Or is it something else?

My question then: since one of its main reported issues is soft corners, I'm wondering if the Lens Modulation Optimizer has been turned off in some owners' cameras, and on in others? From the X-T3 owner's manual:

"LENS MODULATION OPTIMIZER

Select ON to improve definition by adjusting for diffraction and the slight loss of focus at the periphery of the lens."

Fuji doesn't give much information on how exactly it functions, but I assume it's using software to correct for optical compromises (which the 16-80 certainly seems to exhibit). So again, sorry for the ad nauseum query, but I'm wondering if any owners can speak to any differences in corner sharpness (especially for landscapes) at the 16mm and 80mm ends with the LMO feature activated and inactivated. I did a forum and general web search for info on the 16-80 + LMO, but didn't see much. If it's already been discussed in previous threads I'd appreciate a link

-- hide signature --

"Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways." - Psalm 119:37

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow