Best subscription or purchases courses for retouching.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,527
Re: Best subscription or purchases courses for retouching.

alb0t wrote:

Thanks mate but that's not what I'm after. I want to improve and a don't mind getting deep into Photoshop. I don't want to be baked into someone else's workflow, it's always more limiting.

Improving your Photoshop skills is always a good goal. In that case I recommend the video tutorials on Lightroom and Photoshop by Matt Kloskowski. First rate.

Matt Kloskowski | Lightroom, Photoshop, Photography Training

To get an idea of who Matt is and his teaching style you can watch a bunch of free videos by him.

Matt Kloskowski - Stuck Inside

If your primary aim is to improve your portrait retouching skills then go ahead and get the Portrait in a Pinch action, watch the video, and use the action for at least 6 images. Whether or not you like the workflow using it will teach you a lot and help you create your own workflow.

Especially important in any PS workflow is the order of doing edits.

Always work on added layers, not on the background layer itself.

Always put pixel based change layers first.  The top pixel change layer stops all changes to lower adjustments from changing the image so keep in mind that you may have to replace the higher pixel change layers if you change a lower pixel level change layer.

All adjustment layer change ripples upward so all the adjustment layers should then be put on top the pixel change layers.  This allows you to go back down the stack and make changes to the adjustment layers and the top level pixel change layer without having to redo the entire edit.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow