Started 6 months ago | User reviews thread
M43Hero Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: Nice "pop" to this lens

Harold66 wrote:

M43Hero wrote:

Here's another example:

PL 15mm, not so 3d pop

P14mm, more 3d pop

In this case I think the difference is more attributable to composition than lens choice. However the bokeh is slightly smoother in the 14mm lens, which I think might contribute a little bit to 3d effect.

Again both images are not very sharp . Maybe it is user error because now both lenses have mediocre sharpness

I think what you call pop is the fact that most of your image is out of focus . it almost looks like one of those "miniature" filter where only a thin stripe in the center is kept in focus

it is not easy to know if the issue is with the lens design or something else

if someone thinks that 14mm is sharp at full aperture maybe they should take a test picture with a flat subject and letters or something to see if the lens is really that bad

Hmm, I agree the pics are not super sharp, but that's not the subject of this thread. The 14mm in particular isn't super sharp wide open.

I think it could be a subjective thing, so some people might see it and some don't. Personally I can see it in some pics/compositions/lens.

I've seen some explanations along the lines of: 3D pop appears in pictures that render similar to how the human eye sees things in real life, that is, when you focus your eyes on a subject the field of sharpness is limited to certain radius and the rest slowly blurs away in a very natural way.

"I think what you call pop is the fact that most of your image is out of focus . it almost looks like one of those "miniature" filter where only a thin stripe in the center is kept in focus"

I think some 3D pop compositions (like the horse closeup above) tend to have that look, but the first and second samples posted by me in this thread show a substantial area of the picture in focus.

Could you share an example of a pic you think has 3D pop, or are you saying you don't believe in "3D pop"?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow