Is the D780 still a good camera in 2020?

Started 7 months ago | Polls thread
stevef1961
stevef1961 Senior Member • Posts: 2,455
Re: Is the D780 still a good camera in 2020?

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

OK, that is a joke.

What's not a joke is that the shutter on my D750, purchased in 2015, is starting to fail. At certain shutter speeds, a white arc is plainly visible in many photos:

I am very happy with my D750 so far. My question is, do I get the shutter repaired, and if so, how much would I expect to pay?

Or are there clear advantages and disadvantages to something else? Something inexpensive, that is. I do have a lot of F mount lenses.

Back when I got the D750, it was clearly my best option at that price point, and I didn't need to even consider anything else. Nowadays, things are not quite so easy.

I mainly do architectural photography, and so fast frame rates and autofocus aren't needed for my kind of work.

I had that same problem four years ago shortly after i bought mine.  It’s caused by a missing rivet on the arm that opens and closes the shutter.  Nikon replaced my shutter assembly and then two years later my newish shutter started sticking occasionally and progressively got worse.  Until two weeks ago when i replaced the 750 with a D500.

stevef1961's gear list:stevef1961's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow