Evidence that selective voting creates odd results - winner gets least votes

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cjf2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,064
Evidence that selective voting creates odd results - winner gets least votes

Many people on this forum openly state that they vote on only a few of the entries in challenges, the ones they like. It has become the new standard voting behaviour, whereas 5 plus years ago it was accepted that voting on all entries was the best way to put a voters view of the correct order across and that the sum of these would be the fairest way of deciding the order in which the pictures should be placed. In general voting on all the entries used to come up with quite a good order, especially in the smaller challenges (50 and less.) By voting on only the ones you like seems to be a nice behaviour but it is not.

I still think that people should only vote if they are prepared to vote on all the entries or they will distort the results if a large proportion of the voters do the same. Yesterday the challenge for pictures of Boeing 707 and derivatives only had 14 entries but it is clear that several (possibly many) of the voters voted only on the few they liked, leaving chance to place those that they did not have much of an opinion about. The number of votes varied a lot and most votes were higher scores but there wasn't a picture of any special virtue in the whole challenge, including my own. 707s are only seen parked, landing or taking off.

I entered so did not vote. I came in the middle which was fair enough. In another thread recently more than one person expressed surprise at the winner. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63780166 I also think the selective adding of blur to all but the aircraft in a museum justifies a low score but no-one gave it one. The lowest vote on it was 2.5 stars.

Listed below is the placing and the number of votes. You can hover over the histogram to see the actual scores.

Place-Number of Votes

1-6

2-9

3-10

4-8

5-7

6-10

7-11

8-9

9-13 (My favourite)

10-9

11-9

12-9

13-7

14-9

Many people have criticised various aspects of challenges that we cannot alter. This is one we can change. If you cannot vote on all entries don't vote at all. But as many of us are in lock down surely there is time to do so.

PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU VOTE ON ALL THE ENTRIES.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow