RDM5546 wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Jostian wrote:

its hybrid, and the IQ is not great at all, as shown, or is it also out of focus. Your own photos of the tree showed very poor jpeg processing (smeary and waxy) as mentioned by numerous others.

From the main camera,

yes. Not from the telephoto camera

mmm, here's a 100% crop from the 108 mp jpeg file from another thread on the S20 Ultra, if you are happy with this, great for you, I know I wont be...

I've trimmed and highlighted this so your amazingly short attention span and inherent illiteracy can (hopefully) follow it.

oooh, such harshness... your 'inherent illiteracy' chirp is quite funny, coming from you! And you think the telephoto lens will miraculously use different jpeg processing to the other lenses...

It uses a Sony sensor instead of a Samsung sensor. It doesn't have pixel binning. So, yes.

but the Samsung processing algorithms will be the same.

if you look at the crops you'll see the processing is the same.

Nope.

You must be speaking loosely. Two processings from different source code are at best similiar in many cases but definitely are not exactly the same. Comparing two sets of different source code will not be exactly the same unless are identical which more than likely they not the identical in this case. Similar to your eye Jostian the cases may be. If you speak precisely how can they be the same?

as per any phone that has more than one camera (wide, UW and tele) the jpeg processing is the same in terms of jpeg IQ produced

That statement is entirely false.

no, the processing algorithms are the same, you don't get different looking outputs from different lens,

It's not "different lens", it's "different cameras" - sensors and lens combinations.

the IQ SOOC has the same look as per the numerous reviews we've see for the S20 Ultra and other phones,

Then why don't they in any of the images I took?  It's actually not even close.

, you dont get different processing across different lenses in terms of jpeg IQ produced.

Yes, you do.

not in terms of SOOC jpegs

The SOOC jpegs from both of the S20 Ultras I tested were entirely different between the three cameras.

Obviously the code will be different as the different sensors have different specs etc.

And hence, the results are different.

Differences include:

• IR filters
  • Dye transmission curves
  • Well capacities
  • Read noise
  • Quantum efficiency
  • Microlens array
  • Lens aberrations
  • Black point measurement

All these things mean that processing is tuned to each sensor.

OMG we know this, but the SOOC jpegs have the same look across lenses,

No, they do not.  The main camera is much more heavily noise reduced and smeared compared to the telephoto camera.  It's not even close.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow