Reusing Developer

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
jsevidon
jsevidon Forum Member • Posts: 80
Re: Reusing Developer

I have also been using Df96 in either a Patterson tank or the new and clever Lab-Box as I foray into film developing for the first time in over twenty years. So far, the results are excellent.

But as the directions clearly indicate, Df96 has a limited use life in addition to shelf life, That is why they recommend extending the development time and not use it beyond a specific number of role depending on whether you are using 35mm or 120 format. Thet recommend as well taking a snip off of the film elder and soaking it in a small amount o D96, If it doesn't turn an absolute black, you are nearing the developer's useful life. But given the cost of the dry chemical and the reuse feature, buying fresh D96 after 8 to 10 rolls is pretty cheap.

Using standard developers along with sophisticated and time tested techniques such as push or pull times and varying development times may yield, in the end, a superior image, Putin my experience, the results with D96 are pretty damn good.

For most film buffs, pretty damn good isn't nearly good enough, but I find, since I no longer "wet lab", that my scanning and post processing after Df96 development gets me the final results I am after.

Thumbs up for Df96.

jsevidon's gear list:jsevidon's gear list
Ricoh GR II Leica M Typ 240 Leica CL +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow