COVID-19 Discussion Thread #4

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 33,700
Manufacturing and more Aussie gossip

In Australia at least, people have started to realise that we don't make anything any more, it all needs to be imported from somewhere else, usually China.

So now there's regular news items about companies converting or expanding to making needed supplies for health workers (masks, gowns) and a local gin brewing company now making hand sanitiser.

Meanwhile here's a warning to Australia from a returning Aussie who extracted his young family from New York. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-27/fled-new-york-for-sydney-my-coronavirus-warning/12092882

In my own case married pair in our 70's so staying at home in suburban Sydney with no contact with anybody except rare trips out for food basics, maybe expect to do that brief trip once a week or a bit less.

Hmmm, hasn't changed a lot anyway, that seems to be our normal pattern, so this new round of possibly extreme social isolation looming will not be too hard to adapt to.

Certain food stores have the first hour of opening reserved for oldies some days and health workers the other days. The great unwashed hordes get in to shop after them.

Also talk of allowing food stores in my State to stay open 24 hours to help spread the load and one major Aussie food chain wants to employ 50,000 more casual workers to ease the load on their regular workforce and allow for that 24 hour operation. So Qantas flight attendants may end up being food store check-out chicks.

Police in my State have started fining people who break quarantine (those many returning travellers who must stay indoors and isolated for 2 weeks), Oz$1,000 fine for them, and businesses Oz$5,000 fine per person if open when they should not be.

Luckily we are starting to see a slight downturn in my State's new case numbers because of earlier warnings and measures taken, it seems to take up to 12 days for any action to have any real effect on the case numbers. So by the time we get to COVID-19 Thread #10 I may have better things to report.

A big thanks to our moderators for letting this topic continue and good luck to all of us in getting through this pandemic.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow