Is the budget 135 dead?

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,201
Is the budget 135 dead?

Back in the film days everyone, their mom and their uncle had cheap, light, sharp 135 F/2.8 or F/3.5s. Then of course the zoom lens came out, and after a couple of early 135s like the EF STF, they were basically relegated to the past, with the only 135s getting developed being huge, expensive, fast aperture stuff.

But with average camera buyer getting older and a seemingly increased focus on small size and portability.... is there really no market for small 135s? I mean I guess manufacturers don't make them so that kind of answers my question. For me a 135 is the perfect portrait FL- 85 isn't long enough and 200 is too long (and often expensive). And while something like the 135 F/2L is about half the weight of a 70-200/2.8, a modern 135/2.8 could probably be around 500g and would fit nicely in travel kit. What am I missing?

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow