Smaug01
OP MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,480
Re: Earth is insignificant, I'm told

TN Args wrote:

Smaug01 wrote:

TN Args wrote:

Antioch wrote:

EOS GUY wrote:

You mean pollution, destroying the environment etc?

I hope so.

If humans destroyed all the bacteria and viruses, all life will end in a few months.

If humans destroyed all the bees, all life will end maybe in two years.

If all humans were destroyed, then the earth will flourish like never before.

It will never flourish again like it was flourishing 15,000 years ago.

We made sure of that.

Once we have made ourselves extinct, earth will once again flourish. We have been around thousands or maybe tens of thousands of years. In the history of earth, we are just a flash in the pan.

Dinosaurs, whose passing we all mourn as kids, were around hundreds of millions of years. We won't live up to that. We're too "smart" for our own good.

Then, from the perspective of our universe, or even just our one little galaxy, what happens on earth is pretty insignificant. We cannot wreck earth. How arrogant of us to think we have that power!? We can only blight it for a relatively short period of time. Then, it will recover and continue on its merry way.

That's exactly the sort of amoral argument that gets used to justify destroying, today, the planet and all things that sensitive people hold sacred, including human life and quality of life. I hope you didn't realize where you were heading.

I wasn't heading there, you were.

My point was just that we cannot ruin the Earth. We can only ruin it for ourselves.

I try to make wise decisions but people around me are not doing the same. So this is some small comfort.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow