Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
EspE1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,100
Do you think Olypus' Lens Road Map mean anything?

Len_Gee wrote:

Alex Ethridge wrote:

Reason I'm asking is I owned the 100-400mm 4.0-6.3 for two years and I found it just barely long enough for some of what I do and as soon as the sun touched the horizon or dropped half-way below the surrounding trees in the ball park, not fast enough. Just an extra half stop (f/5.6) on the long end might have helped.

In other words, the lens was just borderline for me at the long end both in focal length and brightness.

I sold it this last December.

A reliable source said an Olympus 450mm to 600mm f/5 Pro zoom is coming soon.

Not if Olympus' own Lens Road Map is anything to go by, and usually it has been.

(Well, Olympus once suddenly popped a new lens into the market, that there hadn't been any prior trace of in the Road Map, (was it the MF 70-300?), a lens that I believe was not Olympus' own construction but sourced from another lens manufacturer.)

Besides the 150-400mm F4.5 TC 1,25 IS PRO, that we already have seen some clear glimpses of, there is in the tele end of the Road Map only the (non Pro) 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS.

I spoke to an Olypus representative about this lens a couple of weeks ago, and was told that they had very little info on this planned lens, but that it was their understanding that we might hear more in July.

I think that it's highly unlikely that we suddenly should get a third new Oly offering in the long end, besides these two lenses that are in the pipeline.

The 150-400 is, in m43-speak, a quite sizeable, and highly likely also a quite expensive, lens. We may therefore hope that the 100-400 will be more of a lens "for the masses". With F6.3 at the 400 end, one could think that it will function fairly well also with a 1,4 extender. A 2.0x is more questionable, though.

(As for Olympus, I believe that, rather than discussing phantom extreme teles, it's a more fruitful exercise to speculate about the three shorter and uspecified Pro teles in the Road Map, (which one, from the graphic indications in Oly's Road Map, may be foregiven for thinking could be 40-150 ("ii" - with improved bokeh?) ,50-200 and 50-250?? -- and not to forget "Wide Zoom" (8--24 mm?) and the "Bright Primes" (somewhere between 11 and 60 mm ?) - also indicated in the Pro class of lenses.)

EspE1's gear list:EspE1's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus E-1 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow