Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 6,439
Re: Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Alex Ethridge wrote:

Reason I'm asking is I owned the 100-400mm 4.0-6.3 for two years and I found it just barely long enough for some of what I do and as soon as the sun touched the horizon or dropped half-way below the surrounding trees in the ball park, not fast enough. Just an extra half stop (f/5.6) on the long end might have helped.

In other words, the lens was just borderline for me at the long end both in focal length and brightness.

I sold it this last December.

Amazing. Such a long reach is unbelievable in FF land. Such a lens would need to be mounted on a tracked body to move it.

Tom ,Canon has had an AF 400mm F/5.6 on its books since the early 1990's { I think } so a modern 400mm F/5.6 m43 lens does not seem like a huge ask. It is currently on offer over here for £1080 { with the discount added in }. A modern Canon ,version would cost much more of course , not as much as an Olympus 400mm F/5.6 I would imagine It is a pity that the makers do not seem interested in this kind of lens these days given the excellent high ISO options F/5.6 lenses would have some appeal. The only modern F/5.6 long tele prime I see is the Nikon 500mm F/5.6 which thanks to its size reducing tech is pricer than a straight 500mm F/5.6 would be.

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Basket/

Assuming we want to compare apples to apples the Panasonic mentioned does the same job as a FF 200-800mm F/8-12.6 . Which not surprisingly does not exist However there are lenses like the Sony 200-600mm f5.6-6.3 which with is dedicated 1.4xtc gives you 280-810mm F/8-8.8 { m43 equiv 140-405mm F/4-4.4 } It can also use a 2xTC ,hand held no less courtesy of imaging resource . Unless the guy is 10ft tall it, the lens size looks manageable

It can only be good in cool climates as anything that long would have serious atmospheric haze issues in hotter climates. Even the existing Super long lenses must struggle - maybe for shorter distance targets the haze would not be so destroying.

Maybe someone might be game to make one - even if almost unique 1200mm lenses of quality can be had for FF bodies. Might have to sell a house to buy one and once owned have some high paying clients to justify it.

But I suppose there will be lenses where a TC can give extra reach for those that really need it bad enough

I leave myself open to being surprised ....

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow