Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
Alex Ethridge
OP Alex Ethridge Veteran Member • Posts: 4,871
Re: Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Simon97 wrote:

500mm on MFT gives you the same FOV of 1000mm in FF and that is quite a bit of reach. At these extreme focal lengths, atmospheric distortions become a problem as do the slightest camera movements and vibrations. The limitations on aperture v.s cost also come into play as it would be ideal to have a faster aperture. The cost and weight of the lens with a faster aperture would get prohibitive and no manufacturer would take that risk. As stated, the new 150-400/4.5 with built in TC will get you to 500/5.6 but it will be a large and expensive optic.

I don't necessary follow that line of thought.

It seems to me a 200-500 would have been more sensible for Panasonic than the 100-400 since the 100-190mm range was already covered by the Oly 40-150 with 1.25 TC and at f/4. A fixed-focal-length 500mm at f/4.5 is available at reasonable cost in full frame so I don't understand why you think doing those same specs in quarter-frame would be prohibitively expensive.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR Lens $1,256.95

Alex Ethridge's gear list:Alex Ethridge's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow