Can't make a silk purse from a sows ear (The birders crop)

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,775
Can't make a silk purse from a sows ear (The birders crop)

The birders in here know this anyway, but we see a lot of questions about non sharp shots and it's generally from a a fairly long distance with regards to birds and wildlife in general I guess.

So I've been thinking about it and it sort of bugs me when I see it. So just ranting here really

Let's have a look at a Heron from a distance and an acceptable crop from a closer distance. Then followed by a non cropped shots and yes, I can do the same set up with a smaller bird like the Kingfisher. The same thing applies though.

Out today and was thinking about before we lock down here tonight, so here goes.

First off from a long distance with a white faced Heron and all using the Canon FD 500 F/4.5L stopped down to F/5.6. Using the magnified view to get focus in the EVF ........

So at around 75 meters with the 500mm F/4.5L. Way too far out for the 500mm IMO.

We end up with this when cropped

The simple answer is, don't do it. You are wasting a shot and your time. Fine for some things maybe, but certainly not a decent shot. On a really hot day it gets even worse and atmospherics come into play really quick with teles and distance.

..............................................................................................................

Moving on to something a bit more reasonable and also a great distance to subject to shoot from. Good for cropping and stills shows decent details.

So now we start to see a few more details and then we can get a decent crop out of it .....

So that's basically what I go for and probably a lot of other wildlife shooters go for as well. It's always nice to have room to crop and especially for a BIF.

.........................................................................................................................

Now we have a shot with no cropping at all. This is where the details are with a tele lens. Keeping it close, keeps it sharp.

Must be electrified ground Too close and cut the feet off.

......................................................................................................................

So please for new ones taking wildlife shots at a distance, if you are having issues with sharpness, think about it. Keep tele lenses close to the subject and don't expect miracles from a long way off.

Tele lenses have limits and and it doesn't matter what format or lenses you use, that limit is always there.

All the best folks and for most bird shooter in here, just ignore me

Danny.

-- hide signature --

I can always justify a need, but I can never justify a want.
-
https://www.birdsinaction.com/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow