Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,865
Re: Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Amazing. Such a long reach is unbelievable in FF land. Such a lens would need to be mounted on a tracked body to move it.

Weight, cost and the lack of autofocus with apertures smaller than f8 with DSLRs are the primary reasons they were not common with FF.

It can only be good in cool climates as anything that long would have serious atmospheric haze issues in hotter climates. Even the existing Super long lenses must struggle - maybe for shorter distance targets the haze would not be so destroying.

I leave my MC20 on the 300mm most of the time.  Its purpose is not to photograph things at a greater distance, but to use it at the same distances and minimize cropping.  I use it for small birds in trees, flying hummingbirds, and the .48X magnification makes it ideal for insects from a distance.  Getting closer is always better to avoid cropping, but that is not always possible.

Maybe someone might be game to make one - even if almost unique 1200mm lenses of quality can be had for FF bodies. Might have to sell a house to buy one and once owned have some high paying clients to justify it.

It already exists in a relatively inexpensive lens, you can use the Sony 200-600 with a 2X TC and use it as a FF 1200mm f13 lens or put it on a Sony APS crop sensor for an 1800mm f18 equivalent lens.

But I suppose there will be lenses where a TC can give extra reach for those that really need it bad enough

I leave myself open to being surprised ....

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow