Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,973
Re: Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Alex Ethridge wrote:

Reason I'm asking is I owned the 100-400mm 4.0-6.3 for two years and I found it just barely long enough for some of what I do and as soon as the sun touched the horizon or dropped half-way below the surrounding trees in the ball park, not fast enough. f/5.6 on the long end would have helped a lot.

Welllll, the 150-400 with its built-in 1.2x TC will be a native 500mm lens. An expensive path to achieve that gaudy reach, but a legit one (presuming typical Pro tele quality).

The 300 Pro transforms to 420 and 600mm with the two MCs. It's a little slow, however, at 600/8. Dual-IS helps its usefulness when handholding.

A native 500/5.6 would sell like hotcakes. Oly and Panny both have the ability to make such a beast, and Sigma could jump in any old time as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,

Rick

What I don’t like about the 150-400mm F4 is that it will be very slow at the long end. 
150mm. . . 200mm F4  would not be very useful for my applications.

A 450mm F4  prime would be my choice as the ideal m.43 wildlife lens, especially for birders. I think that most of us who use a 300mm prime have a 1.4x attached most of the time anyway.   A 450mm F4 would be the new ‘big tuna’

Peter

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow