Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 39,709
Re: Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Alex Ethridge wrote:

Reason I'm asking is I owned the 100-400mm 4.0-6.3 for two years and I found it just barely long enough for some of what I do and as soon as the sun touched the horizon or dropped half-way below the surrounding trees in the ball park, not fast enough. Just an extra half stop (f/5.6) on the long end might have helped.

In other words, the lens was just borderline for me at the long end both in focal length and brightness.

I sold it this last December.

Amazing.  Such a long reach is unbelievable in FF land.  Such a lens would need to be mounted on a tracked body to move it.

It can only be good in cool climates as anything that long would have serious atmospheric haze issues in hotter climates.  Even the existing Super long lenses must struggle - maybe for shorter distance targets the haze would not be so destroying.

Maybe someone might be game to make one - even if almost unique 1200mm lenses of quality can be had for FF bodies.  Might have to sell a house to buy one and once owned have some high paying clients to justify it.

But I suppose there will be lenses where a TC can give extra reach for those that really need it bad enough  

I leave myself open to being surprised ....

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow