Really Like This Model

Started Mar 24, 2020 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,962
Really Like This Model

This is a perfect upgrade to the E-M1mkII version. Not often that camera makers add more features and make changes to the layout and keep the body size exactly the same. They did with the E-M1mkIII, at least in the bottom plate. Exactly the same size and shape as the older model.

They did move the Menu button completely to the other side of the body, which can freak  out some people used to the older model. However, I prefer the Menu button where it is. Some find it harder to use one handed, but I always held the body with both hands when punching buttons or using the LCD. My brain still tries to hit the Menu button which is now the Info button, but that muscle memory is getting corrected. Of course, the Info moved to that position to make room for the new joystick control. I prefer the Menu button change more than the joystick addition right now. When viewing the EVF or even the LCD while composing, my thumb is certainly more used to pressing the arrow pads to move the focus box than it is to use the joystick. I wish the joystick had a way ti change the sensitivity and speed of the movement. It can be lightning quick in moving which makes moving it one click over harder to do... especially with gloves on.

The new Starry focus feature thing I doubt I will ever use, or will use very rarely. Have had this body 3 weeks and I have not done anything with that feature yet to be honest. So for me, right now, not a plus or a minus, but the option of maybe one day using it is better than never having it.

Hand held Hi-Res isn't a feature I will use all the time, but it is a good addition and worthwhile to me. It is not the feature the tripod version of Hi-Res is, but it can definitely be used, and successfully at that.

Addition of the My Menu is a nice to have, not really needed kind of feature. I have added many items to it and use it, but it doesn't really save me a lot if seconds, especially if the menu is currently in a position far away from the bottom of the main menu section. I like it, and use it, but it wasn't a reason to upgrade.

I think the images coming out of the E-M1mkIII appear to have lower noise and better color, but there is no scientific test done by me on that and I think that the real difference is way smaller than what my mind thinks. Suffice to say that I think because i upgraded I want to see more than I do in the image, when in fact there really isn't any. Do i need more megapixels? No, I don't. Would I like more? Sure. But if it was $300 or $500 more for another 2 or 4mp would I make that deal? No, probably not. So that makes the 20mp sensor a good balance for me and I'm good with that.

-- hide signature --

Dale

daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Nikon Z7 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +7 more
Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Feb 12, 2020
daleeight's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow