Samsung S20 ultra comparison

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 1,352
Re: Samsung S20 ultra comparison

Lee Jay wrote:

Jostian wrote:

mmm, dont understand why the crops of the Huawei and iPhone are at 200% (or more) to match size of crops from Samsung which are at 100%,

108MP for the Samsung, 40MP for the Mate 30 Pro and 12MP for the iPhone 11 Pro. That's why.

anything above 100% will be a mess, so thats already a big problem.

Hence why having more pixels matters for cropping.

All comparison reviews will compare 100% crops relative to megapixels

Then they are all stupid. You should compare at constant final size, and that's what they did here.

, cropping a 40MP shots to match the crop size of a 108MP sensor is ludicrous,

It shows the advantage of having more pixels and a larger sensor.

hence the horrid crop comparisons...though I guess ubergizmo are not renown for their camera reviews.

They did it right. Showing 100% crops makes no sense and never did when doing cross-camera comparisons at constant field-of-view. Doing that led many to falsely believe that smaller pixel counts were "better" for a long time.

Lee Jay,

Have you tried the GCAM 7.3 download for the S20 Ultra. The current versions are available from three different developers seeking to build their own preferred camera apps.

https://www.gizmochina.com/2020/03/18/download-samsung-galaxy-s20-gcam-mod/

I have tried the first of these three downloads but it is a little buggy but still provides interesting alternative images from the 108MP sensor binned to 12MP.  I am interest in the quality of JPEG color and smoothing this Pixel camera developed source produces in comparison with Samsung App.  My investigation is still a work in progress.  I have no conclusions other than it can be used to make taste images in JPEG from alternative camera processing code.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow