No raw converter with JPEG settings?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Olifaunt Contributing Member • Posts: 809
Re: No raw converter with JPEG settings?

Waldemar wrote:

I´ve played around with Silkypix Developer (30 day demo) yesterday. As expected, it doesn´t offer any GR 2 presets.

What has puzzled me, I also couldn´t find any possibility to lift shadows. The Fuji (free) Silkypix version has something comparable (HDR slider and some more stuff), but not the 100 $ paid version? A raw converter in which you can´t lift shadows? Maybe I´ve just overlooked a menu, but an online search pointed to a different software version (similiar to my Fuji free version).

I´ve then opened a raw file with Luminar and tried to imitate the b/w hc setting and then saved the settings as a "Look". The Ricoh b/w hc setting produces this stunning 60´s documentary look and I couldn´t quite get that in Luminar yet. The Ricoh setting seems to add grain, clog shadows and even to soften the shot slightly, so it´s not just about pulling up the contrast slider in a b/w setting. I´ll have to spend more time in Luminar, I guess.

Right now I´ll take it for what it is and just shoot JPEGs. May be I´ll dial down the contrast somewhat.

You can lift shadows with in-camera raw development in different ways. You can change exposure/contrast in the raw developer to an extent (after taking the shot) but this is limited. But there is also a "levels" tool in the review menu that you can apply to the shot that can lift shadows a little more than just "exposure" adjustments will let you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow