What does "i-Enhance" do?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EspE1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,151
What does "i-Enhance" do?

As for the discussion in a resent thread about the (too?) many options available in our cameras (AKA "complexity" etc), and how much of this one really uses or ought to use or need to know about at all in the first instance, https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4474934, I came to take a somewhat closer look at my EM-1 today. Thinking about some functions I don't use myself -- but may at least for the most part have some kind of knowledge that "there's something there" that may come on handy. So during the next days of home-quarantine I ought to become better aquainted with some of this, like e.g. Live Composite which is important stuff that opens up new possibilities.

Anyhow, one of the reasons why possibly useful functions in the camera are not utilized by me, is sometimes that I don't know what the function really do because the information in the manual is sparse and very seldom inform users what situations a functions is intended to be ueful for. A good examples is the picture mode "i-Enhance" .

The manual informs that i-Enhance "Produces more impressive-looking results suited to the scene."

OK ...? That sounds like something that actually ought to be always used .... at least by us who tries not to spend lives in front of the PC doing PP of Raw files, I guess... I tried, by the way, to switch the camera from A-mode (which I nearly always use) to "iAUTO" (which I've never used), and saw that the picture mode was set from Natural to i-Enhance).

One can see that when shooting with i-Enhance the resulting image has colors with more "pop". But does it do anything that cannot be set by saturation and contrast? Does the function treat the image somewhat more intelligently like applying such enhancements more selectively to various parts of the image or ....?

In short:

Q: Does anybody know more precisly what the i-Enhance picture mode really do to the image?

EspE1's gear list:EspE1's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus E-1 +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow