What Nikon camera for old manual lenses?

Started Mar 22, 2020 | Discussions thread
Bernard Delley Senior Member • Posts: 1,619
suggestion: full 35mm format

DWCphoto wrote:

I used a FE2 for 20 years. I have many lenses and bellows and BR2 for this camera. What newer and better IQ camera than a D200 (that I use now) should I move up to? I am satisfied with the quality of a D7000 level camera. Price is a concern. Interested in lens fit and usability.

To use the full image circle of the old lenses and thus the same view, I suggest using an FX camera.  An excellent D800 can be had for less than 500$ second hand at ebay. The D800 is still about at the state of the art today in IQ.  Contrary to a D7000, it also allows to use the latest AF-P lenses with up to date firmware. The AF-P 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 (FX) lens might become of interest to you. This modest (travel tele) lens is amazing optically.

in this test the old AI 200mm f/4 provides huge working space for a 1:1 closeup wit a digital camera. The camera is mounted with am M ring (27.5mm) to the off brand bellows to make space for the hand-grip.  However, with a (Nikon) bellows providing convenient rotation option at the rear bayonet, you can mount the camera straight without grip collision, by rotating the bayonet.

D800 straight onPB-6 bellows for transparency slide copy. LED light. Testing the 50mm f/2.8 EL  Nikkor. If you have one the AI 55mm f/3.5 Micro Nikkor at f/5.6 -f/8 is an excellent choice for this purpose.

Bernard Delley's gear list:Bernard Delley's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow