What Nikon camera for old manual lenses?

Started Mar 22, 2020 | Discussions thread
Igor Sotelo Regular Member • Posts: 451
Re: What Nikon camera for old manual lenses?

DWCphoto wrote:

I used a FE2 for 20 years. I have many lenses and bellows and BR2 for this camera. What newer and better IQ camera than a D200 (that I use now) should I move up to? I am satisfied with the quality of a D7000 level camera. Price is a concern. Interested in lens fit and usability.

I would suggest a Nikon Df, since it has classic controls and is compatible with non-AI lenses. However, it's very distracting to look the bottom left corner for focus confirmation, and even that maybe requires lenses with electric contacts.

For functionality, IMC cameras like the Z6 have focus peaking, showing what's in focus. I'm not sure if FTZ adapters work with manual lenses, for metering and aperture, since the adapter was mainly designed for AF-S lenses. The D850 has focus peaking, though that's only using live view.

The D7000 series are DX cameras, that increase focal lengths by 1.5 and produce less subject isolation by about one aperture stop.

Igor Sotelo's gear list:Igor Sotelo's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 6D Nikon Df Canon EOS 5DS Sony a7R II +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow