Gitzo 3 series vs 5 series systematics.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP PGSanta Regular Member • Posts: 471
Re: Gitzo 3 series vs 5 series systematics.
  1. Richard B99 wrote:

PGSanta wrote:

Trying to make up my mind between a Gitzo 5543ls, 3543, or 4553.

This will be a dedicated landscape tripod, and I'm also interested in dabbling in some longer than normal long exposure stuff. The heaviest thing I’d put on one right now is a 70-200 and a full frame body.

Height wise I’d like 54 inches or higher. I have a dedicated travel tripod, so I don’t really need it to be compact, but it is something I will hike with.

I had decided on the 5543, but I’m starting to think it’s overkill and I’d be better off with the more flexible (pun intended) 4553, or a 3 series.

Curious if anyone has been in a similar spot, and if they regretted the 5 series or vice versa.

Personally I’d be happy with a 3 series (Long version) systematic for that and more. Oh, I am! Never regretted it.

But worth noting that the head is perhaps even more critical for stability and good working performance than the legs.

I’ve been leaning Acratech GXP or RRS BH-55. I think I’m going to go with the Acratech.

PGSanta's gear list:PGSanta's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow