RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 1,349
Re: Samsung messed up the implementation

Jostian wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Panino Manino wrote:

Can we agree that this thing is a disaster (the camera)?

No.

It probably has the best main camera and certainly the best telephoto camera of any phone.

rubbish, the p30 pro beats it at 5X optical zoom

No way, no how.

The P30 pro has a 14.5mm lens with an 8MP sensor behind it with 1 micron pixels working out to 253 pixels per degree.

The S20 Ultra has a 19mm lens with a 48MP sensor behind it with 0.8 micron pixels working out to 415 pixels per degree.

your obsession that more pixels equals better IQ is just not fact! its more about processing and quality of the lens etc, especially in phones, where we have already shown in another thread that the S20U processing is poor,leading to smeary jpegs, a 200mp sensor wont help with that!

, the Ultra did a bit better at 4X optical and no one cares about digital zoom which is a waste.

It's a waste on the P30 pro because it's only got that 8MP sensor. On the Ultra, 48MP is quite croppable.

The periscope camera on the S20 ultra wipes the floor with all others, and I've tested it myself and it's a solid performer.

look at the results, at 5X see below, first crop is S20U, 2nd crop is P30 Pro easy to see a 8MP sensor beating a 48mp one, cos its more about the processing, and Samsung processing is poor.

S20U

Both images look good to my eyes and my requirements. The P30 has a decent camera and can make decent images. However, the P30 has software problems hard quality limitations like some of the other flagship cameras. Software problems will be greatly reduced for all of these camera by over the air updates after the camera is in the hands of the consumers.

Huawei P30 has a particularly nasty bug in the sofware:

https://thedroidguy.com/fix-huawei-p30-pro-camera-not-working-camera-keeps-crashing-1105264

I am sure updates will come someday soon.

The display is an important part of any high end smartphone and Huawei does not have the best display but to some users that does not matter and they happy. There are many happy Iphone 11 users with displays that are pretty low resolution my comparison to more moder phones.

Although I do find the camera in the P30 decent, I have the greatest displeasure with the lack of good US telephone network support by the P30. In particular the network that work best at my house, Verizon. Even the top of the line Huawei P30 Pro is not compatible with Verizon GSM, Huawei P30 Pro is not compatible with Verizon HSDPA and compatible with Verizon LTE 50%. Huawei P30 Pro does not appear to be fully compatible with Verizon at this time. It will only support Verizon 4G LTE only in certain areas of United States. Overlooking good US network support is not a plus for this P30 in my book. You may not be aware that the S20 Ultra has been tested on the 5G Verizon network at one of the currently limited locations with peak data transfer speeds 66 times as fast as the currently used 4G LTE.  Not all 5G phones are able to do this speed from a lack bands support they fail to provide.  Yes, I when shooting and sharing lots of pictures I definitely have a need for speed.

All phones have good and bad. The P30 has the most good I think for the Internal user outside of the United States.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow