Samsung S20 ultra comparison

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 1,317
Re: Samsung messed up the implementation

Lee Jay wrote:

I tried an S20 ultra. Here's the thing.

The "1x" location is a 12MP downsampling of the main camera's 108MP sensor.

The "2x" location is a 12MP upsampling of the center 3MP of the 1x's downsampling - stupid.

The "4x" location is a 12MP downsampling of the telephoto camera's 48MP sensor.

So, the 4x image is drastically superior to the 2x. The reason they don't sample the full 108MP for the range between 1x and 4x escapes me.

This chart is a 2.7 MP JPEG containg a 4000x3000 image It was taken with the 108MP lens using the S20 Ultra and it's 12M pixels are 3x3 subarrays in the sensor.

1X 4000x3000 image from S20 Ultra

This chart is a 1.7 MP JPEG containg a 4000x3000 image It was taken with the 108MP lens using the S20 Ultra and it's 12M pixels I suspect are 12M single pixels from the middle of the sensor.  I suspect this because this is what the image would look like in the center if binning was turned off.

You saying the sensor alway 3X3 bins the pixels resulting in 12MP image that they select the center 3MP and then upsample.   Why do think that and where does the documentation support your belief?

I know I can select a 108MP output from this sensor.   Then it provides the output from the individual unbinned pixels and I could build circuit to grab the center 12MP with no upsampling.  I think this is what they are doing but I have no Samsung document that states this is what they are doing.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow