Is the D780 still a good camera in 2020?

Started 7 months ago | Polls thread
Wonder90
Wonder90 New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Is the D780 still a good camera in 2020?

I'd repair the shutter for now if it can be done for a reasonable price.

Wait for them to iron out some of the issues with the D780 especially regarding flash photography (I've had an issue with older manual lenses and flash metering personally with my SB-700 while others have had issues with 3rd party flash units). If you use 3rd party lenses, live view could bug out using face detection and eye detection on the D780 just like on the Z cameras so make sure you update any that you own.

If you want something cheaper and are using Nikon glass, try out a Z6 or Z7 and see if that is for you. A Z6 can be had with the FTZ for less than a D780 fairly regularly.

My only suggestion about the D8XX series is make sure you need the larger file size. Most of why I bought my D780 is that 24.5MP is perfect for what I use my camera for and I gained the video AF from the Z series while retaining the OVF. If you want larger images and are okay with an EVF, then by all means get a Z7.

Wonder90's gear list:Wonder90's gear list
Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon D3500 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow