Samsung S20 ultra comparison

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 56,096
I know what's going on now

Lee Jay wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

Thank you for posting all your good information. I would love to get the files of youf good S20 and bad S20 ultra unbinned images so that might see the differences in quality myself.

I went back and did a separate test.  The above is focused using Samsung's autofocus.  My new test was done with tap-to-focus on the area shown above, and it's pretty sharp.

The deal is, a large sensor (1/1.33") + relatively fast lens (f/1.8) plus tiny pixels (0.8 micron) yields shallow DOF when viewed at 1:1.  Therefore, Samsung missed focus (it focused on the store I was in instead of the building across the street.

The processing is still terrible, but hopefully the software update will fix that.

I did find something else out - the "slow motion" video (not ultra-slow-mo) is taken at 240fps.  It's unbelievable that this is not listed in any spec sheet anywhere.  I took a 12 second video so it's not limited to 1 second like the ultra slow-mo (480fps on the ultra and 960fps on the s20 and s20+).

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow