Flat field macros for scanning.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bharathmsk Regular Member • Posts: 162
Flat field macros for scanning.

Hey Everyone,

I got into film recently, started fiddling with extension tubes on my kit lens to do the DSLR scanning. I could never get the center and corners sharp. The corners were so horrendous that I thought my 35mm film equipment/lens was bad. Trying the scans with various lenses, over and over, I found out that I have been experiencing the effects of field curvature all along. What a hard way to learn about field curvature!

I then went for a vintage 1:2 Olympus f/3.5 macro that with an appropriate extension tube goes to 1:1. The lens is gorgeous, but it still has some field curvature that renders it not so great for flat copy work I am after.

Further search along these lines leads me to the Micro-nikkor 55mm f/2.8 or the 55mm f/3 .5 AI-s. Any other alternatives? I also came across a hefty Vivitar f/2.8, but I am unable to quite get a sense of its flat field through my search.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

bharathmsk's gear list:bharathmsk's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow