Shooting with nikkor Z 70-200 f2.8 on Z7

Started Mar 14, 2020 | Discussions thread
Roy Kikuta Senior Member • Posts: 1,904
Re: The nikkor Z 70-200 f2.8 VR S, early impressions

StanyBuyle wrote:

After my first trial day with this new toy, some early impressions...

• Very well built to handle...
  • Extremely sharp. When I got my 70-200 F2.8 FL version on my D4/D810/D850 and later with the fantastic FTZ adapter on my Z6& Z7 I thought a final standard in extreme sharpness was achieved, especially wide open.... But... This one is sharper...
  • Very fast focusing on both Z6 & Z7.
  • Very smooth zoom ring
  • I like the new style illuminated info display on top, indicating per mm that you zoom, or aperture, or distance.
  • The Z version seems to be focusing at shorter distance than its F counterpart, but I'm not sure about that, I will compare tomorrow or so...
  • Last but not least, I LOVE the two programmable function buttons on this version.
    I programmed the one in front for AF tracking, great... Now I can use the one on my camera body again for exposure...

Wow.

Kindest regards,

Stany

If you have time, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the relative speed of AF acquisition between the 70-200Z on a Z6 vs. 70-200FL + FTZ also on a Z6.  Is there any noticeable difference in not only the speed of AF acquisition - but also the manner in which it achieves AF lock?  Does one tend to hunt more than the other when shooting a average contrast subject against a bright blue sky, preferably in dynamic-area and wide-area AF modes?  Is equipment on loan, or were you able to purchase?

Aloha,

Roy

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow