Samsung S20 ultra comparison

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 1,320
Re: So, this is weird

Lee Jay wrote:

I just went and tested two S20s and two Ultras and found something really odd.

The S20's Ultra's main 108MP camera produces lousy images at 108MP when examined at 1:1, partly due to over-processing and partly due to apparent motion blur (these were at 1/1250th). It's odd looking so it could be focus issues rather than motion blur (honestly, it looks like a mix).

The S20's telephoto 64MP camera produces pretty good images at 64MP when examined at 1:1.

The weird thing is, they both have 0.8 micron pixels. The 108MP sensor is a Samsung and the 64MP sensor is a Sony. I doubt the sensor quality is the difference but it could be part of it. It looks like all software, as if Samsung developed entirely different software for their own sensor than they did for the Sony sensor.

What 64mp camera, I think you migh mean the 48mp camera?

I have not found a way to export the 48mp telephoto camera images only 12mp binned 2x2 images.  Are you sure you have an unbinned image from the telephoto camera?

On the rear of the phone there are 108-megapixel (wide-angle), 48-megapixel (telephoto), 12-megapixel (ultra-wide), time-of-flight camera.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow