Samsung S20 ultra comparison

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 56,114
Re: Samsung S20 ultra comparison

Jostian wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Downsizing destroys the advantage of more pixels. Why not downsize to one pixel?

More pixels is great for cropping yes not for comparing the quality of output though.

That's the entire point of doing the comparison!

you are much mistaken to think more megapixels equals better IQ!

Then why does the inventor of our modern CMOS sensors (Eric Fossum) agree with me?

https://www.gigajot.tech/

"Being developed at Gigajot, QIS is the next generation of image sensors where high-speed single-photon detection is used to unlock new image capture capabilities for consumers and professionals not possible with today’s devices."

"Jot" is the specialized pixel that is sensitive enough to detect a single photon of light."

"A QIS may contain hundreds of millions to billions of jots."

so a 12mp sony FF has poorer quality IQ than a 108mp Xiaomi??

Sensor size also matters because of total light collected at a given f-stop and shutter speed.

Obviously... but you specifically said MPs are all that matters!

Show me where I said that they were ALL that mattered.

apologies, you didnt say ALL but you said the more megapixels equals better IQ which is not true, unless (theoretically) all else is equal. But the review section is full of reviews (even cameras with same size sensors) where cameras with lesser MPs deliver better IQ.

Very few and far between and usually because of other reasons.

However, if the 0.8micron pixels from the 108MP sensor were scaled up to full-frame,

But they are not, they are tiny 0.8 micron, you could say the same about any smaller sensor...

No, I'm saying leave the pixel size alone and scale the sensor up.

but you cannot do that above 100% crop 1:1

That has nothing to do with what I said.

, thats the point and thats why DPReview always use the sensor with the least MP as a base to which other sensors with more MPs get resized to in their studio scene!!

And that's wrong because it deletes information.

then you'd have a 1.35GP sensor that would out-perform that 12MP Sony in all but the most light-starved situations.

any idea how much light you'd need,

The same. The total light captured doesn't change.

exactly, but when that same amount of light needs to be spread across 12 mp vs 108 mp it makes a huge difference.

Yes - you get more information about the scene.

in anything but ultra bright light the 12MP Sony will be better

Not true. It's a total myth that larger pixels are better in low light, except for a very extreme situation where each pixel is only gather a couple of photons (where the read noise dominates the shot noise).

You are wrong,

No I'm not.

a 0.8 micron pixel will NOT gather the same amount of light as a 3.8 micron pixel.

Which has more pizza, a 15 inch pizza cut into 12 slices or a 15 inch pizza cut into 8 slices?

The amount of light gathered by an individual pixel is largely irrelevant to the performance of the sensor in producing a final image.  What matters is how much light is collected in total.  The pixel count just divides that light up (like the pizza) and the theoretically best way to do that is to count each photon individually rather than gathering them into large buckets first.

Let me explain this another way.

Which one is better at reducing visible noise in an image:

  1. Modern advanced noise reduction software algorithms.
  2. Block averaging.

Larger pixels do nothing but block-average.  If you think that's a superior approach then you're saying that all modern noise reduction software was a waste of time to develop because the simplest and least intelligent approach of block-averaging is better.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

 Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow