R5 @ 45MP is "real" ("fake" 150MP R5s?)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Noogy
Noogy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,161
Re: I don't think it is fake.

shawnphoto wrote:

GatanoII wrote:

but why no one is speaking of the rumor about the "fake"? 150MP R5s or R3?

no one interested in the successor of the now discontinued 5Ds and 5Dsr?

too good to be true or to much unnecessary resolution?

I will take 150MP in a heartbeat. Some people always want to argue that resolution is unnecessary because they're thinking very old fashioned in terms of printers. Unfortunately printers have not improved in actual resolution in maybe 20 years. Additionally print sizes have not changed so resolution demands for prints are stagnant. 30 years ago an 8x10 was big. How is that still big when I could fit like six 8x10's onto my monitor? And yet, 16x20 is still rarely supported on home printers. So using prints as a guide for resolution is archaic.

The human eye resolves a lot of megapixels. Based on information from the web, I would guess that the full resolution of both eyes combined is in the 500 to 1000 megapixel range.

Monitors and televisions are going to evolve to take advantage of the huge resolution potential of the human eye. With 8k monitors coming out 45MP will be the bare minimum. How much is enough? The answer to that is probably a LOT more than the average person thinks.

I personally think that high resolution imagery is the future. In the next 10-15 years we'll be streaming 16k video on youtube and laughing about 4k resolution as having been "filmed with a potato".

Plus, there are currently cell phones with 30-100 megapixels. What am I supposed to tell my customers? That their cell phone is higher resolution than my camera? No thanks! I want to deliver ridiculously high quality imagery that no cell phone can touch. Regardless of how "unnecessary" it may seem to some people.

I would concur with you that this may be "premature" or "speculative" but not fake. It is also not impossible to happen within the next few months vs the next few years. And yes, with solid state drive and memory card prices where they are, there will be takers of any 100-150mp these days.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow