My E-PL3 just won me a major wildlife photography award

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
anupamkatkar
OP anupamkatkar Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: My E-PL3 just won me a major wildlife photography award

OLY23 wrote:

Congratulations.

You prove the point, that it’s not the equipment, but the person behind the equipment.

Thank you, Oly. However, the point I "proved" was by accident. In fact, this has been an important lesson for me.

It's easy to start obsessing over specs and catch G.A.S. I most certainly am guilty of this. It seems that every few weeks, there's a new lens or camera to tempt us. And of course the gear we use makes a difference ... but we took up photography because it's fun, and we love connecting with and perceiving the world around us using these fantastic tools. And what's the point of it all if it doesn't make us happy?

I'll bet that most of us enjoy using the camera, composing and pressing the shutter far more than how the photo actually turns out. Isn't the lasting appeal of manual-focus lenses a testament to the fact that we love the interaction, tactile feel and process of creating our art?

Some of the best photos on this forum were created with obsolete equipment. Vass has taken incredible photos of swallows in flight with an E-M1 Mark 1, Phocal prefers Four Thirds lenses, NZMacro uses Canon FD for bird photography. These are just a few examples. Perhaps their photos are so great precisely because it's a challenge to take them.

anupamkatkar's gear list:anupamkatkar's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow