Mounting xt-3 on bicycle handle?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
nostatic
nostatic Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: BSW 1/4" bolt? Tripod head?

David Lal wrote:

atalwar wrote:

Has any one tried it? Any tips / IDEAS? Or xt-1/xt2

I make a lot of my own kit. Certainly plenty of things that are secured to the camera via its tripod mounting hole. The correct thread for a small camera is British Standard Whitworth 1/4" (for a medium format camera the thread is 3/8"BSW).

You could drill a hole through the handlebars fit a screw or bolt through the hole and screw directly into the camera tripod hole. Be careful not to use too long a bolt - only 3 or 4 turns of thread - and don't overtighten.

For more flexibility you can buy inexpensive ball and socket tripod heads, often again with a 1/4" BSW threaded hole in the base and fix the head to the handlebars. See this link here:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/ball-heads/#esp_category_sort=FSM_Rational_Price&esp_category_order=asc

I would definitely not rely on clamps.

I wouldn't advise drilling through a handlebar - that's asking for catastrophic failure.  There are clamp mounts designed for lights that might work - maybe use multiple bases and fabricate a plate. The best solution would be to mount to a front rack (assuming fork eyelets) or to a pannier mount. Depends on the shot one is trying to get.

-- hide signature --
 nostatic's gear list:nostatic's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jxj
jxj
jxj
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow