What is the Point of a 135mm Prime?

Started Oct 6, 2017 | Questions thread
Klarno
Klarno Veteran Member • Posts: 4,233
My best 135

I have the Olympus OM Zuiko 135mm f/2.8, singlecoated version from the 70s (which is when my dad bought his OM-1—the lenses I've bought for myself in that mount have all been the multi coated variants if available.) I use it with a Metabones Speedbooster on the Sony NEX-6 to make lenses their full frame equivalent. I find the focal length tough to use on its own, and for telephoto perspectives I’d really rather just use a zoom—but full frame zooms are absolute units and I don’t really want to make this bag bigger. I haven’t even graduated from the 40-150 f/4.0-5.6 on my MFT system...

Last time I took this lens out, I found myself in a place with incredibly dark skies, and snapped this single exposure without a tracking mount:

Belt of Orion. APS-C 96mm f/2.0, 5 sec, ISO 3200.

Maybe next time I attempt astrophotography I’ll use this lens on MFT for the sake of more pixels on subject, though with the additional crop factor maybe I should look into getting the multi coated version for this purpose. Maybe I should see if I can rent a tracking mount too...

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow