Superb low light performance

Started Mar 6, 2020 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
hockeyshooter
hockeyshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,442
Superb low light performance

Having been a 1D (crop body) user for many years, shooting motorsport for the vast majority of the time, I started to get more and more requests to cover indoor black tie events and therefore needed both full frame and much improved high ISO performance. I even considered a switch to Nikon, then looked at samples from Canon's 5D MkIII and MkIV but it did appear to me that the 6D MkII came out best. And I wasn't wrong! Its not often I buy either bodies or lenses from new but in this case, Amazon looked to be about the best UK price and I ordered a grip (a like-new Canon through an Amazon partner) and big (for me) SD card at the same time.
Have had the 6D now for a few months and its still amazing me with images that are usable even taken in the dimmest of venues. The auto ISO setting is a real bonus here as I can trust it to use up to an incredible 12500 ISO without reaching for a flashgun - which I always try to avoid.
It also offers wifi and combined with my iPhone, I've covered events using the combination to post images to social media within moments of them happening. Saves lugging a laptop about with you - providing you can get the images "mostly right" in-camera (I never shoot RAW).
It will become my backup body for sports coverage and take care of pit lane and garages shots where the light can be very variable.
Its very much quieter than the 1D too - handy when you're trying to catch people in conversation. The body is pretty light, less than a 1D with its grip attached and feels fairly robust, although I'll not risk using it unprotected in rain like I can with the pro bodies. I've been using it mostly with my old 28-70/2.8 L but its capable of showing up deficiencies in my 17-40/4 L so I might seek out a better wide zoom later.
Overall I've been very impressed with the 6DII.

Chris.
--
Freelance sports photography
http://www.hockeyphotos.com/

hockeyshooter's gear list:hockeyshooter's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Canon EOS 6D Mark II
26 megapixels • 3 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Jun 29, 2017
hockeyshooter's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EOS-1D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow