why does xt4 reviews focus on the video so much?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
nostatic
nostatic Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: why does xt4 reviews focus on the video so much?

Truman Prevatt wrote:

nostatic wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

nostatic wrote:

Lumens1 wrote:

The camera market today is not interested in cameras - it is interested in camcorders like the XT-4. Fuji is simply following the current trend. HOPEFULLY!!! That trend will die soon.

Highly doubtful

Here’s a summary of the Youtube statistics you need to know in 2020:

1. YouTube has 2 billion users worldwide.
  2. 79 percent of Internet users have their own YouTube account.
  3. You can navigate YouTube in a total of 80 different languages which covers 95% of the Internet population.
  4. 94 percent of American users between the age range of 18-44 year old accessed YouTube at least once a month.

Last time I checked this age range accounted for about 5% of the wealth in the US and I expect in the rest of the world. That equates to the ability to buy expensive products which cameras are.
I believe that Fuji well aware of the demographic. It doesn’t really matter if an age demographic looks at any thing once a lunar cycle if they don’t have the assets to act on what they see now does it?

To quote my attorney ex-wife, "it depends." I know plenty of 20- and 30-somethings that have disposable income to both purchase cameras and be active on/in social media (but I taught at a film school for some years so my personal data is skewed). I'm simply pointing out that for those that create and consume media, video is the lingua franca. Still images still have their place, but there are a lot more eyeballs on youtube vs smugmug. Instagram has increasingly moved from stills to "stories" (video) as well. And let's not talk about TikTok...

One other datapoint - average age of a Facebook user is around 40 so there are more - mature - social media users out there that have buying power. As far as I can tell the stills-only demographic keeps getting older. Fuji is catering to that population with cameras like the X-Pro and X100x series. My point is that it is pretty obvious to me why Fuji would be continuing to move the X-Tx line towards video.

I have no doubt that Fuji will invest heavily in video - they have been doing that for several years. However, Fuji seems to want to cover all their basis as we see in the XPro line and the X100 line. In the US at least the advertising is targeted to 18-34 age bracket mostly to hook customers. The 60 plus bracket won’t be good long rang customers although that is where most of the wealth is concentrated. It is no secret that younger customers have more brand loyalty than the old codgers and probably “upgrade” more often even If the value is not there. The only reason for a publicly held company is to make money for their investors and expanding into video is a no brained for Fuji.

However, the past 8 years or so have been unusual economic times - that won’t last if history is any indicator. Expensive cameras are a luxury of those with high levels of disposable income. It will be interesting to see how an already contracting market will hold up when we come into the next recession.

Film was pronounced dead - it was never dead and it’s seeing a come back. If the integration of video leads to a camera that becomes too heavy, large, etc., or for whatever reason is not attractive to the people interested in still photography- someone will step up to support that market and those that turn away from supporting it will lose customers. It might or might not be worth it - only time will tell.

Agree with all of that. Along with that, vinyl records have actually made a minor comeback.

If you take a longer view, the past century has probably been an anomaly. My analogy is the music biz. For a long time musicians had patrons and they served at their pleasure, making their living playing concerts or teaching the well-heeled. When recording technology became a thing it quickly evolved into an industry, and even had an associated middle class -  at least for a couple of decades. Then technology struck again, and synthesizers, drum machines, sampling, and digital recording changed and in many areas killed the industry. So the 50s-80s were the exception but plenty of people lament the "good old days" of the biz. Digital really changed everything and we're just scratching the surface on the longer-term implications. Ten years ago not many would say that a phone would rule their world. But here we are. When AR and VR finally get nailed we'll see other radical shifts. Fold in AI and we're pretty quickly having to redefine what it means to be human.

But I digress. I switched to Fuji because of the analog control interface and the hybrid chops on the X-T3. If I had spare cash lying around I'd pick up either an XPro or X100V because I think they'd be fun to shoot. I still remember enjoying the original Olympus Pen digital. I enjoy the process as much or more than the product. Others have different wants/needs. Luckily there's a product for that.

-- hide signature --
 nostatic's gear list:nostatic's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow