why does xt4 reviews focus on the video so much?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
nostatic
nostatic Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: why does xt4 reviews focus on the video so much?

Truman Prevatt wrote:

nostatic wrote:

Lumens1 wrote:

The camera market today is not interested in cameras - it is interested in camcorders like the XT-4. Fuji is simply following the current trend. HOPEFULLY!!! That trend will die soon.

Highly doubtful

Here’s a summary of the Youtube statistics you need to know in 2020:

1. YouTube has 2 billion users worldwide.
  2. 79 percent of Internet users have their own YouTube account.
  3. You can navigate YouTube in a total of 80 different languages which covers 95% of the Internet population.
  4. 94 percent of American users between the age range of 18-44 year old accessed YouTube at least once a month.

Last time I checked this age range accounted for about 5% of the wealth in the US and I expect in the rest of the world. That equates to the ability to buy expensive products which cameras are.
I believe that Fuji well aware of the demographic. It doesn’t really matter if an age demographic looks at any thing once a lunar cycle if they don’t have the assets to act on what they see now does it?

To quote my attorney ex-wife, "it depends." I know plenty of 20- and 30-somethings that have disposable income to both purchase cameras and be active on/in social media (but I taught at a film school for some years so my personal data is skewed). I'm simply pointing out that for those that create and consume media, video is the lingua franca. Still images still have their place, but there are a lot more eyeballs on youtube vs smugmug. Instagram has increasingly moved from stills to "stories" (video) as well. And let's not talk about TikTok...

One other datapoint - average age of a Facebook user is around 40 so there are more - mature - social media users out there that have buying power. As far as I can tell the stills-only demographic keeps getting older. Fuji is catering to that population with cameras like the X-Pro and X100x series. My point is that it is pretty obvious to me why Fuji would be continuing to move the X-Tx line towards video.

And another perspective (@18:44 https://youtu.be/OJMrMD3qMx4?t=1124)

1. Every day people watch one billion hours of video on YouTube.
  2. 62 percent of businesses use YouTube as a channel to post video content.
  3. More than 70 percent of YouTube watch time comes from mobile devices.
  4. 90 percent of people say they discover new brands or products on YouTube.
  5. 400 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute worldwide.
  6. YouTube is Responsible for 37 percent of All Mobile Internet Traffic.

https://www.oberlo.com/blog/youtube-statistics

-- hide signature --
 nostatic's gear list:nostatic's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow