Perhaps the lens is sharper than we thought??

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
OP ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 19,941
Re: Using Images Downsample to small 'NOT SO useless' as to IQ

Jon_T wrote:

My first reply and 'main point' of my reply was to the 'topic' of your OP:

"Perhaps the lens is sharper than we thought??"
... and that using images 'resampled' down to small size (29% of original size) really cannot be used to determine a camera's IQ due to being 'resampled' the image is a
'completely new digitally created image'.

My opinion might also be of use, no?

sorry no real testing to post here.

Lookup and do some reading for yourself on what resampling does to a image.

I knew  that. But still many can see differences.

Did you see the difference in the two same images I posted?

Really cannot have a worthwhile discussion ignoring the facts.

BTW as to your ...

... You sold D-SLR to enter FZ1000 and smaller sensor world.

Huh? I've NEVER sold a DSLR for the FZ1000. Guess you did not take the time to look at mygear prior to posting.

Sorry, I thought you were the one who had Canon 70D and bought the FZ1000 and was glad you switched.

Confused you with someone else.

I did get the FZ1000 for a smaller/ lighter single 25-400mm EFL lens solution for general purpose/ travel camera. Though there were times would I carried the FZ1000 and a 70D with 10-25mm lens attached when I knew I would want/ need a wider angle lens.

I still have the FZ1000, but got the RX10 IV as a upgrade for better quality glass/ 600mm EFL.

The RX10 IV far less expensive, smaller, and lighter alternative than getting a good quality long FF tele lens.

Indeed.

For important pics, and when I shot for other people (i.e,, church events, and occasionally a wedding when a couple cannot afford to hire photog) I use my FF DSLR's.

I see.

... FZ200 has f2.8 lens. No way FZ80 competes, since ISO will be higher many times.

Again my point even at the same aperture/ exposure FZ80 going to have noticeably more noise due to the smaller pixels.

i agree. But see my first post and there would be no mention of this camera.

Why do keep replying as if I'm arguing with with you? I'm Just pointing out the facts, nothing more or less.

Sorry. I'm hyper. Not meant to argue.

As if the the way you use the FZ80 (full tele/ wildlife) the right way, and someone using FZ80 as a general purpose camera is wrong.

Of course not.

But it's my opinions...that are based on my specific use, which I know are different than most. That's all.

As I clearly noted in my post I got the FZ80 'hoping' that with shooting RAW and downsampling to 12MP the FZ80 IQ would be close enough to FZ200 IQ to use the FZ80 in lieu of the FZ200 and the R&R of the 1.7 X TC.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

DXO with PRIME is indeed giving Me better I.Q.

Noise is non issue, so far. I am keeping ISO at 80 most times, and under expose as needed for faster shutter speeds.

PRIME handles the noise from lifting shadows.

Remarkable on both my D7500 (ISO 8,000) and FZ80 (two to three stops )

For myself even with DxO PhotoLab 3 Elite Suite PP RAW images, not impressed with FZ80's 'overall' IQ with images downsampled to 12MP to match the FZ200 12MP image size.

i downsize more and am fine with I.Q. more than ever.

I 'only' posted my past photography experiences just as a reminder that I'm well aware of exposure basics and post processing film and digital images.

Really no need to post comments as if I was a newbie to using digital cameras; been PP FZ80 JPG/ RAW images for over a year.

i did not mean that, Jon.

Just that I am the OP.

My thoughts are still valid, me thinks

This is about my experience with said camera. also about DXO and RAW

Others can chime in and mention other things I didn't comment on.

They already have in past posts on FZ80; axlotl (Camera Ergonomics), Avian2016,
New Raj, Sherman Levine, Stevie Boy Blue, etc.

I meant here, on this thread....not about the past

Jon

ANAYV

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow