Yellowstone: Ultra Wide Angle & Telephoto recommendations

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 2,317
Re: Yellowstone: Ultra Wide Angle & Telephoto recommendations

Jason Switzer wrote:

Hi, everyone,

I will be traveling to Yellowstone & Glacier National Parks this summer and wonder what is the better travel hiking wide angle lens? I’ll be bringing my 24 GM and 55 fe 1.8 primes. Is there any reason to bring either the Batis 18 or Tamron 17-28, since I plan on bringing the 24 GM?

Also, I currently don’t have any telephoto lens for my a9, but feel like I’d be missing out on some great shots at the park without one. Should I go short telephoto with a 135 GM or (assuming it’s good quality) the Tamron 70-180? If you think I should go longer, would you recommend the 100-400 GM or the 200-600? Why?

Thanks in advance!

I took a 15-30mm in the past and will be taking the 12-24 in May. I love what the super wide angle can do for some of those beautiful areas at yellowstone, so I would suggest taking the 17-28 with you for that wider angle. 
As far as Tele, I say, go with the 200-600mm. I feel the reach will be worth it unless you like to hike a lot to get closer to Wildlife. I am either taking a 200-600 or my RX10 IV on this 4th trip there.

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow